The Ligue 1 side’s new manager has revealed he has been given assurances that the Brazilian will remain at the club this month
New Bordeaux boss Gus Poyet says he has been given assurances that in-demand forward Malcom will not be leaving the club in January.
Goal reported last Friday that Tottenham were the latest Premier League club to have expressed an interest in securing the 20-year-old Brazilian’s services.
Arsenal were previously interested in signing Malcom this month, though Arsene Wenger last week ruled out the Gunners moving for him in the January transfer window.
Article continues below
Juve on alert: Exiled Icardi may have already played his final game for Inter Sarri vindicated for dropping Kepa as Chelsea & Pedro impress in Spurs win Magnificent Mane takes centre stage as league leaders Liverpool put on a five-star show Lukaku sends reminder that his Man Utd career is far from over
But while a summer move was not ruled out by Wenger, Poyet has put all suitors on notice that the attacker will not be going anywhere this month.
Poyet, who was announced as the successor to the sacked Jocelyn Gourvennec at the weekend, said: “The first thing I asked was if Malcom was staying. I was told yes.
“I said OK, now we can continue the discussion.”
Malcom had reignited speculation about his future by expressing a desire to play in the Premier League following Bordeaux’s 1-0 victory over Nantes on Saturday.
While Bordeaux president Stephane Martin claimed Monday he has no issue with Malcom declaring an interest in playing in England, it was after he first re-affirmed the former Corinthians ace will be remaining at the club through the winter window.
“It has been said over and over that Malcom will not leave,” said Martin.
“He said he wanted to play in the Premier League someday; it’s normal – what player would not want to play in England?
“There is no problem with Malcom.”
Malcom has already matched his output of seven goals and four assists in 33 Ligue 1 games last campaign by scoring seven times and adding five assists in just 19 league games this season, prompting interest from Tottenham and Arsenal.
Mauricio Pochettino, for his part, earlier Monday refused to address the reports linking Malcom to Spurs, telling Sky Sports: “That is a rumour and I don’t want to speak about it.
“I am happy with our squad. We are open to quality players, but it is difficult in this transfer window.”
Meanwhile, Arsenal remain on the hunt for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and are nearing a deal for Henrikh Mkhitaryan.