The principality side boast a better record in Europe’s top competition despite having only a fraction of the huge budget enjoyed at Parc des Princes
Leonardo Jardim thinks Paris Saint-Germain’s Champions League failures put Monaco’s achievements in the competition in perspective.
PSG were beaten 5-2 on aggregate by Real Madrid in the last 16, having fallen at the same stage last year as Barcelona overturned a 4-0 first-leg deficit to dramatically progress 6-5.
Monaco were knocked out in the group stage this season, but reached the semi-finals last term and the quarter-finals two years earlier, with Jardim highlighting his side’s accomplishments as PSG and Unai Emery come under pressure.
Article continues below
Juve on alert: Exiled Icardi may have already played his final game for Inter Sarri vindicated for dropping Kepa as Chelsea & Pedro impress in Spurs win Magnificent Mane takes centre stage as league leaders Liverpool put on a five-star show Lukaku sends reminder that his Man Utd career is far from over
“This shows once again that it is very difficult to go to the quarter-finals, the semi-finals of the Champions League,” the Monaco coach told a pre-match news conference ahead of their Ligue 1 clash with Strasbourg on Friday.
“It is a way to further enhance the [achievements of the] Monaco project because we did it twice in three seasons.”
Radamel Falcao is back in training after over a month out, but 16-year-old January signing Pietro Pellegri will miss around six weeks following a hernia operation.
“[Pellegri] had surgery because he has a hernia,” Jardim said. “We made the decision that it was better to settle this now so that he can come back early next season.
“He is a young player who started very early. When they are young, people ask a lot of these players, [treat them] like adults.
“He arrived from another club and the problem was already there. We tried to solve the problem because, with that, he did not train well.”